WHO and WHAT IS THE Women’s Health PHYSIOTHERAPY GROUP?
The WOMEN’S HEALTH PHYSIOTHERAPY GROUP (WHPG) of the South African Society of Physiotherapy is an SASP Special Interest Group established with the following aims: (to promote)
• To promote excellent standards of service and consistency of practice in women’s health by physiotherapists.
• To provide a forum for physiotherapists with an interest in women’s health.
• To represent women’s health physiotherapy both nationally and internationally.
• To promote research efforts in women’s health and women’s health physiotherapy.
• To enhance the education of physiotherapy students, health care professionals and members of the community on the role of women’s health physiotherapists.
• To encourage women’s health physiotherapists to improve their specialist therapeutic skills and understanding of this field of work through relevant courses, workshops and research.
• To keep the members informed of relevant professional and political developments especially with regard to policy making, both internationally and nationally, which are relevant to women’s health.
• To foster mutual understanding and collaboration in order to facilitate good working relationships with health care professionals.
• To promote all aspects of health education and patient care in the field of women’s health physiotherapy (within the community).
• To fight for an adequate remuneration with health funding organizations.
• To fight for recognition of our value within the health departments.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF WHPG MEMBERSHIP?
• Become part of a network with other physiotherapists interested in women’s health.
• Free CPD accredited talks at WHPG Meetings.
• Discounted WH CPD courses.
• Option to study towards an APDL2 qualification in Women’s Health.
• Updated info/assistance on medical aid issues.
• Option to be involved with provincial committees and plan activities for the group.
• Membership of the Facebook group (closed group) which allows for sharing of latest research and developments in Women’s Health physio in South Africa and be able to share ideas on a discussion platform regarding patient care and any other issues affecting your practice.
• Links and information regarding National (SAUGA) and International (IAUGA) events and membership of these organisations.
• Representation at International Uro-Gynae Association.
• Access to International Journal (JWHPT).
PATIENT POPULATIONS WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM Women’s Health PHYSIOTHERAPY:
• Ante Natal/post Natal.
• Menopausal women.
• Pelvic dysfunctions in all age groups and both sexes including:
• Male and Female Sexual dysfunctions.
• Women’s Health Physio is a broad umbrella term which covers a wide variety of both male and female patients. This can include patients suffering from: incontinence both urinary and faecal; haemorrhoids and constipation; chronic pelvic pain; sexual dysfunction; difficulties encountered during the childbearing year; as well as many other types of pelvic dysfunction.
• Importantly it is also not just those patients presenting to us with these problems who may need our help. There are many people who are suffering in silence and through having the skills and knowledge to be able to identify these patients we can help people who never even knew that their problem had a solution.
|Education & APDL2|